Establishment and refinement of a "Process Center of Excellence" (PCoE) is one of the initiatives we're currently working on with our clients.
Though many companies have a process management team or teams within the enterprise, frequently there are capability gaps which result in sub-optimal value delivery of the function. Our role often involves assessing current PCoE maturity levels then developing a Blueprint and associated Roadmap to Success.
Key questions commonly requiring attention are:
- Is there clear visibility and linkage to enterprise strategic value drivers?
- Is there demonstrable alignment between business management, process management and technology management, ideally including business executive sponsorship?
- Does the organization have a command of the core value processes, both customer-facing and business management-focused?
- Has the organization adopted a proven development methodology, typically involving a continuous improvement-aligned agile/iterative framework coupled to extensible best practices?
- Is there an excellence program in place to ensure repeatable excellence in design, development and deployment of process solutions (technology-based and other)?
- Are there mature ?adoption management? practices in place to ensure that desired approaches gain durable traction?
- Are there process-centric metrics in place which demonstrate value delivery and awareness?
- Have near-term and mid-term roadmaps been established which persistently elevate process competencies and map out process improvement priorities?
While other areas often warrant attention, focusing on these core topics produces a clear understanding of strategic priorities, current capabilities and an appropriate roadmap to success.