Chuys, an Austin Favorite, Expands
- January 24, 2014
- 0 Comments
I still can’t believe Chuy’s is a public company (Nasdaq: CHUY). A recent article touted it as a restaurant to watch due to its ongoing expansion. It now operates 47 restaurants across 14 states.
So, on the off chance that you are within driving distances of one of these little oases of Austin, here are a few recommendations:
- The burritos are huge. Try the “mini” burrito (off-menu) which is about half the size, and still pretty much as big as your face.
- If you like spicy, try the Hatch Green Chile sauce on your burrito or enchiladas. It is fantastic and the level of spiciness varies over the course of the year with the crop of chiles.
- Ask for the creamy jalapeno sauce for your chips. Trust me on this one.
- Save room for dessert, and order the Tres Leches. It may just change your life. In my opinion, it is better than any other tres leches I’ve ever had.
- They sell pretty awesome t-shirts. In Austin, El Arroyo has its road signs, and Chuys has its t-shirts.
- If you drink, the Texas Martini is a recommendation, normally a drink you can’t get outside of Austin, but perhaps not for much longer if the word spreads.
I like the fact that Chuys (so far) doesn’t water down the salsas as they move to different cities. Toughen up, America!