Well, this is a topic that never really gets old.? The best barbecue spots in America. Or in Austin.? But let's get real - Austin has become ground zero for BBQ in America. BBQ appeals to us because it is about the process as well as the quality of the inputs and the quality of the pitmaster and his or her assistants.? It is about pride in craftsmanship, and pride in customers.
The article calls out a few Austin spots:?
- #38:? Freedmen's based on a Foursquare ranking of 9.29
- #34:? La Barbecue, based on a score of 9.31
- #27: Franklin Barbecue, based on a score of 9.33.? But, this is also the place that Bon Apetit named the best BBQ in the world, not just in Austin...
- #13:? Rudy's Country Store & Bar-B-Q, scored at 9.40
- #6: The Salt Lick, scored at 9.5
Well, this is cute and all, but Foursquare ratings are hardly the way to decide the best places in the country.? After all, your Austin taste buds are a little more discerning.
- Smokey Denmark's
- Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ - great fusion of tacos and BBQ in my book.
- Micklethwait Craft Meats
- Lamberts - the best upscale BBQ joint in Texas for my money.
- Rollin Smoke BBQ
- John Mueller Meat Co.
- Franklin Barbecue - the best in the business
- la Barbecue - arguably in the top 3 in Austin
- Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew
- Black's BBQ Austin (a branch out from the Lockhardt Black's)
- Kerlin BBQ
- Ruby's BBQ
- Scotty's BBQ
And they still left out:
- Blue Ribbon BBQ
- Cooper's BBQ Downtown
- Smith's family BBQ out west
- Rudy's BBQ
And several others...