Austin’s Most Important Restaurants?
A recent article lists Austin’s most important restaurants, and they’ve picked some great ones:
- Sholz Garten
- Nubian Queen Lola’s Cajun Soul Food
- The Frisco
- Fonda San Miguel
- Chez Nous
- Franklin Barbecue
- Dai Due
- Eastside Cafe
- Ramen Tatsu-Ya
I like that they didn’t just pick the most popular, but in many cases, picked restaurants that represented a turning point in Austin cuisine, or a tradition that the restaurant preserves. Let me add a few to the list:
- Stubbs BBQ – the Gospel Brunch is like nothing else.
- Musashino – the restaurant that brought sushi to Austin and provided the training grounds for the folks behind Uchi and Uchiko
- P.Terry’s – a burger joint that also pays well, they’re out-doing in-n-out.
- Amy’s Ice Cream- local creamery with entertainment value. Expanding outside our borders
- Congress – setting the standard for high-end dining in Austin.
- Chuys – the best casual dining Tex-Mex chain, expanding nationally. But they started here and laid down markers on hatch green chiles.
- Tiff’s Treats – changing the business model for cookies.
- Chi’lantro BBQ, Peached Tortilla, Hey Cupcake, Odd Duck, etc. for making Austin Food Truck cuisine innovative and dare I say, high-end.
This is making me hungry…