Founders Grid: Austin Startups You Must Know About
Austin is rising as a magnificent hub for tech startups. Not only is Austin host of SXSW Interactive Festival, but it has everything you need: access to money and investors, globally ranked startup accelerators, and a thriving community of entrepreneurs and mentors.
Below you will find 50 Austin-based startups you definitely should know about. You’ll see some established names, but we also hunted a few hidden, up-and-coming startups that are growing like crazy.
The fact that someone would take the time to write a story that covers 50 startups in Austin has to be some kind of watershed event for our startup ecosystem.
I’ll just call out a few of them from the list:
- Cratejoy has my favorite name for a startup in the last few years. Who doesn’t have that moment of excitement opening a package (even one that is associated with a subscription). Cratejoy helps you launch your subscription eCommerce business.
- TrendKite – a couple of great Lombardi alumni are over at TrendKite making things happen.
- AppSumo – an early supporter of Capital Factory and the startup ecosystem here, I feel like everyone knows about AppSumo
- WP Engine – they generate a lot of buzz and press, including a recent fund raise. Customer service is exemplary and one of the companies we aspire to match in customer service.
- Atlas – wearables!
- HomeAway – not really a startup, as they’re a public company, but everyone should know about their vacation rental business by now.
- Favor – “Uber for delivery”
- TabbedOut – early innovator in this space
- Localeur – I met the founder at SXSW, expecting to see great things from them!
- Spokefly – bike rentals!
- Reaction Housing aka Exo – temporary natural disaster shelter is a pretty awesome business.
I’d have added some interesting foodie startups to the list that have gone from food truck to retail locations, e.g. Chi’lantro, Peached Tortilla, Torchy’s, Odd Duck, East Side Kings. Not to mention some other interesting restaurants with chain/franchise potential: Ramen Tatsuya, Michi Ramen, and Phonatic.