Why We Need Pure Play BPM Consulting Firms
PreambleWith the thinning of the herd of Pure Play BPM software vendors, and with the energies of firms like Oracle and IBM behind BPM, I think two predictions we can reasonably make are:
- BPM software will be pervasive (or pervasively available). IBM, Oracle, Pega, Progress, Software AG – they’re all going to move a lot of BPM software. And of course it looks like open source offerings are going to be more prevalent as well.
- BPM software is going to get better – either because the big stack vendors invest in the new products they’ve acquired, or because the remaining pure play vendors continue to innovate at a faster pace and grow, or because open source solutions will lift the bar for the minimum requirements that all the BPM software suites have to match.
Why Pure Play BPM Consulting?But the other prediction we can make, is that there is a growing need for specialty BPM consulting firms – or, dare we say it, “pure play” BPM firms. These BPM consulting firms are all about BPM – and not about being all things to all people. Nearly all of the points I’ll make about BPM pure play service firms likely apply to pure play services firms in other market segments. The advantages:
- They really “get it” with BPM – and they’re willing to explain it to customers, they even evangelize to people who might never be customers.
- They’re really invested in understanding the BPM space – which pays dividends over time. Their staff don’t go from BPM project to integration project to database architecture project – they’re transitioning from BPM project to BPM project. It takes time and patience to develop a deep practice in BPM, and it takes time to develop a deep bench in any services business.
- The right methodology and tactics to get BPM projects successfully deployed. And after all, success is what we’re after…
- Really deep expertise on at least one BPM software suite – every product suite has its own strengths and weaknesses and you want staff that knows what those are before they start your project.
- Process improvement staff, that understands how to marry improvement methodology to BPM Software.
- They are “high touch” – high quality, long-term relationships with customers are more important than chasing the next shiny deal, because they’re not selling software…
- Experience, quality, focus, and vision. Not volume.